Sort-Of Crescent Maternity Skirt & Mad Fabric Springy-ness


Goal: A versatile basic maternity skirt I can wear throughout my pregnancy

Reality:  A skirt perfect for a pregnant schoolgirl (with added ass-bunching) which through knashing of teeth and vomit became a garment acceptable for office wear

So, this skirt took ages to make (a month, on and off). Much, much longer than it really should have considering that I have made this pattern twice before. There were times when I wanted to throw it out the window but the fact that I really needed it kept me going.


I used view A of the Sewaholic Crescent skirt plus Tabatha Tweedie's excellent maternity alteration. When Tabatha included her Crescent skirt in her end of year round up, I knew immediately that it would be perfect for me. Unfortunately the project wasn't as straightforward as I hoped - nothing to do with Tabatha's excellent alteration I should add, but rather a series of unfortunate events.

I had intended to make a black, lined version but things didn't work out that way. As you will see, my skirt is grey. And straight. With a split at the back. Want to know why? Read on...

Here's a summary of the making process:
  • Bought fabric in Mandors, although neither of the people I spoke to had heard of double knit or interlock jersey but I managed to find something that seemed right. Unfortunately the colour choice was limited and there was no black so I chose grey.
  • In looking for a fabric to match the grey double knit (used for the waistband) I settled on a grey poly which was a close colour match. I paired this with a striped grey and pink lining. I did wonder why I bought this since I don't like or wear pink, but it goes well with the fabric.
  • Cut the pieces are started to assemble. This was a little tricky as I was using the pattern instructions plus Tabatha's tutorial AND Tasia's guide to adding a lining. All that multi-tasking was trying to my poor little brain, but I got there in the end
  •  Tried it on when zip inserted. Oh dear or dear oh dear. Although this was the less gathered version of the skirt, the gathers looked bloody horrendous. The front looked really weird but the back of the skirt was outrageously unflattering, with huge sticky-out bunchy gathers like some kind of bustle.
  • At this point I realised the fabric was basically the same material used for making school skirts and trousers. Meaning I was essentially making a skirt perfect for a pregnant schoolgirl. This wasn't the look I had intended. 
  • In the end I had to take in several inches from the sides to reduce the width plus unpick the back waistband and zip to remove fabric from the gathers. This was frustrating, fiddly and took ages to get right.
  • I added a split in the back to ensure I could move without splitting it
  • In a final act of indignity, the cat vomited on the skirt just prior to hemming the lining. 
 

How do I feel about the final skirt?
Despite its numerous imperfections (bit on the side waistband that won't sit flat, zip that should be neater, my lazy machine-sewn hems, lining that sits a bit weirdly, pockets that ended up different sizes of small due to alterations) I know I will wear this skirt a lot and I am hoping it will last to well into my pregnancy until I am utterly sick of the sight of it. I mean, yes, it could have been much better made but I have already worn it a couple of times per week for about 4 weeks.

I definitely took a few short cuts in the finishing but honestly, I just wanted the skirt finished so I could move on to another project and actually start wearing it. The finished skirt is actually closer to the popular Simplicity 2451, which I have also made, and I think the waistband alteration would work just as well for that pattern.

I'm actually pretty happy with the resulting skirt - massive thanks to Tabatha for kindly sharing the alteration which is a great idea.


What have I learned?
When a project is majorly trying your patience, keep at it by sewing a little a day. I got plenty of crocheting done alongside this project since that was a reward after struggling with the skirt.

Consider fabric how 'springy' your fabric is. I don't sew with poly fabrics very often but thought this fabric would work fine weight wise plus it had a little drape. I'd made this version in a heavier denim before so didn't foresee a problem with the gathers.

When I was explaining about the problems with the bunchy gathering to my mum on the phone, she asked if the fabric was springy, and being a poly it is. Now, I know nothing about fabric technology, but I think the type of fabric I used does not suit gathers and essentially being 'squashed' into shape because the man-made fibres just won't comply in the same way as natural fibres which are more pliable. The poly fabric is a light to medium weight and should technically work absolutely perfectly for this skirt.

What do you think? Am I talking rubbish here? I can't see any other reason why this fabric would not work for this pattern when I know it is not the pattern (or me!) at fault, having made this skirt twice before. Or if you have any suggestions as to why the gathers wouldn't work, I'd love to know!

Now it's done I am so excited about the prospect of moving on to making something new - watch this space...

K x

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations! How did I miss this news? That looks so comfy, and stylish. A little secret- I still wear some of my maternity clothes around the house even though my youngest is now three. Comfort before style...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, the skirt is super comfy :)

      Delete
  2. It's strange how some projects that seem so straightforward end up having every little thing go wrong! But you did get a very versatile skirt in the end, I think. I hope your next project goes more smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Boy. Congrats Kerry. Just seeing this wonderful news now. Aww.....
    can't help much about the skirt, but I'm so happy for you. I did not make much when I was pregnant, then again, I'm quite lazy. enjoy yourself now dear coz when the little one comes, there will be not rest. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some projects are just doomed, you are lucky and saved yours. Some go right in the bin. Now you need to make a little gingham blouse so you really look like a school girl and rock that underage lolita look ;-)

    Burda Style has a maternity skirt and pant pattern that looks cute, maybe try again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hormones are doing brilliantly – When I was pregnant I'd cry at the slightest thing. I can't imagine completing a sewing project without major tantrums and many tears, so well done it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it has been worth all the stress - I'm wearing it right now!

      Delete
  6. It looks great Kerry - very smart, yet practical! I can't believe your cat vomited on it though...how rude! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. uuggghhhh, what an ordeal! I am so glad to hear you are finding it wearable after all that, especially the naughty kitty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. practice for upcoming small human fluids I guess :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly what i was thinking! cat is just getting you prepared because babies tend to spit up on clothes =)

      the skirt turned out great!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, you two are right - but at least it'll make a change from the normal cat hair!

      Delete
  9. Oh dear, at least you persevered and came out with something very suitable... Great A for effort and I thought at first was the simplicity. I was going to suggest you do that pattern in normal fabric, lowing the waistband just a little and making the band in knit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THis looks great, and doesn't look overly "springy" from the photos. If you are wearing it, that's key. And comfy is good when prego! Hope your next project turns out to be less frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had a bit of a giggle at your line about a skirt for a pregnant school girl but well done you for sticking it out and emerging with a wearable wardrobe basic. I have occasionally thrown away projects that just don't go right, so I can only admir your fortitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on persevering even when it seemed like everything was against you. I think I would have given up! It looks comfy, practical and can definitely be worn outside the house so it was all worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations again Kerry on your pregnancy! I'm glad you found the tutorial useful. I wore my maternity version of this skirt several times a week right up until the end - i.e. at 41 weeks pregnant! And I still wear it now. Hopefully you will get just as much use out of yours. I like the shape it's ended up - a bit more tulip - I think it looks very flattering - and the lining is pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your tutorial was great, and I'm hoping I get just as much use out of it as you did yours. So far it gets worn at least twice a week.

      Delete
  14. Fantastic news! What a treat. Skirt looks lovely too - despite the troubles you experienced :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out so well! Glad you were able to stick with it, despite your cat's best efforts to ruin it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the pregnancy and surviving the skirt making ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woo hoo, congratulations! You'll have so much fun sewing great bump-accomodating clothes. I wish I was sewing way back when... but then maternity clothes were *not* cute back then, either. Double plus for you (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant! I have this pattern as well, maybe I'll try the same thing. Even if it involved tears, it looks great now!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say