Finished: Happy Green Hippo

He's finished! A very happy looking green hippo:


Adding the face to a soft toy is always a little nerve-wracking - just a millimetre the wrong way and that cheerful smile looks sinister or unhappy. It's always worth taking the time to sew on the face carefully - my Current Husband thinks the hippo looks a little bit stoned but I think he looks cute.

This was an enjoyable knit from Susan B. Anderson's Itty Bitty Toys book, which I also used to make this rabbit in 2011:

 

There are lots of cute patterns in this book and as they are knit in the round that means less sewing up, which is always good news. It's not just soft toys like this in the book, but also sweet reversible toys, balls and stacking blocks, all items which are great to use up odds and ends of wool. I'd really recommend it if you're looking for some nice kids projects.


To make the hippo I used a varigated Knitpicks sock yarn which is held double and knits up to make a nice robust fabric. He's stuffed with regular toy stuffing and also some poly pellets in his body and a few in his hands and feet to give him a bit of weight and let him sit up. As such, he's a little heavy (and large!) for a young baby but perfect for somone a bit older.

As knitting my last cardigan had ground to a halt this was a great project to make knitting enjoyable again for me, and now I've got a new crochet project on the go too.

Have you tried knitting any soft toys?

K x

20 comments:

  1. I've made a couple of bunnies and have recently found out another of my friends is expecting so I am planning an elephant! Cute hippo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I agree that he does look a little bit stoned though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, he's looking super chillaxed and very content, kind of like Dylan in magic roundabout! What a cute toy Kerry, I'm sure it will be much loved :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, like the Dylan comparison Winnie, spot on :-)

      Delete
  4. Cuuute! His eyes are a little squinty, though! ;) That bunny is adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So here I am dying (figuratively) from the flu and I see your Current Husband's comment. Laughter is the best medicine. I think your Hippo is very cute. To me his expression looks like someone tickled him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a nice description of his expression. Get well soon!

      Delete
  6. So adorable!!! I love both the hippo and the bunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee "stoned". So cute though! Lucky kid who will get him :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! I love him. Maybe just a little bit stoned though?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet, Hippo looks proper smug like he's just had a good hug! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's lovely! I've never attempted anything as intricate as a toy (other than a sock-kitty)! You're right about the face though, a hard thing to get right but I think you have here :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's just asking to be cuddled and covered with baby slobber!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are both so cute - I'm afraid sock monkeys are the extent of my powers!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's so cute!! I've never knitted toys but now I think I'll try it. A little bit of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. he's adorable! I love the colour too. You're right about adding the features: I knitted a tiny bear for a niece, but once I embroidered on his face, he had a very impish expression. My husband thought he was too terrifying for a toddler, so we've kept him, and we suspect he's the who finished off my box of chocolates this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He's not stoned, he's content! :-) Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is SO cute! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say