An easy but long overdue project

You know those projects that you keep thinking, 'I really must make that', but never quite get round to? This was one of those projects. I've been using this old make up bag to carry around assorted lady goods for some time. You know, painkillers, nail file, tampons, mirror etc. But look at the state of it:


No wonder it looks so bad, since I've had it for absolutely years. I think I got it for Christmas in about 1994, making it 19 years old. It was from Boots and was made in the UK (pretty sure all similar items would be made in China now) and I think it's interesting how the pattern has aged - it was printed with gold dots but these have started to wear away, making me think that whatever was used to print them was quite acidic, so it has eaten away at the fabric. Anyway, enough about my ancient make up bag - this is what I made to replace it:


The pattern I used is here and can be easily adjusted to suit the size of fabric and zip you have. I used a bit of ex-Liberty fabric I bought at Mandors a few years ago. It's some kind of poly which is perfect for bags and such.

I also treated myself to a new mirror from Buttoned Up and Pinned Down on Folksy:



It's also Liberty fabric but not only was it inexpensive (£3) but it arrived the day after ordering. I had originally wanted a vintage compact mirror but these are not cheap, and I didn't need one with a powder section anyway, which most seem to have. This mirror came in a little drawstring bag, so I don't need to worry about it getting scratched.

It's nice to have a decent looking purse that I'm not embarrassed to pull out of my handbag and it was very quick to make. It was also the first thing I made on my new machine too so was a nice easy project to allow me to get to grips with my machine.

K x

18 comments:

  1. A friend just recently started sewing and she makes lots of little make-up bags and stuff for the first time. This reminds me that I really need one too. I've been sewing for such a long time now, but in the past years I only made garments and didn't make anything nice and simple anymore.
    I like your new bag and I'm sure lots of people will stare, when you take it out on the tube - this time because it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a good way to use up some fabric scraps too, and I think they'd make nice presents.

      Delete
  2. I have been making wee bags as well, this looks like a much better way of making them than my cobbled together approach though!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works! I did find this tutorial easy to use.

      Delete
  3. Love this and need exactly something like this! Thanks for the tutorial, I had pinned one on Pinterest, but it wasn't nearly as clear!

    Did you line it?

    Lovely fabric choice too! Now you just need some liberty tampons to go with! There must be a market for that?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit that I didn't line it - probably wouldn't be too hard to do so, tutorial says to basically make another bag shape from the lining and sew inside.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is fab! Firstly, how awesome your first bag lasted that long- yay Boots! And secondly, I love the shape of this new one. You could get lots of goodies in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow to how long your old bag lasted!! Your new one is lovely, and I'm going to have a look at the tutorial, because I've been thinking of having a go at making bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was quick and easy, I think it could get addictive.

      Delete
  6. What a great little carry bag - you have inspired me to make one for my make-up - it is getting super tatty now. Thanks for the link too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It's so easy, a really satisfying project

      Delete
  7. I can't believe how long your make up bag lasted. If your new one lasts that long you've done very well. I've recently been thinking I should make a small bag like this. You've inspired me to do it now so I'll have to check out the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's never occurred to me to do something like this, I might just give it a go. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I can't believe you had the same bag for so long! Here's hoping that this one lasts you just as long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this types of projects.. I been making bags on holiday as they are simple and fun.. Really cute.. The baby will need some bags better start making more lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say