5 Reflections and 5 Goals

Top 5 of 2012

Following on from my post about my Top 5 Hits and Misses this year and in keeping with Crafting a Rainbow's Top 5's, I've been looking back at the year and thinking about next year.


5 Reflections on 2012

1. This was a great year for meeting fellow bloggers! I attended 3 meet ups in 3 different countries (Scotland, England and the US) and met 35 (!!!!) bloggers. Every one of these meetings was a true joy - being able to talk about sewing with people who know exactly what you're talking about is just great. I feel so happy to be part of such a warm and friendly community and getting to meet just some of you in real life really cemented this feeling for me.

2. I found a couple of go-to patterns that I really loved - a skirt and a dress that are a good shape and fit for me. This year I got better at working on a pattern and revisiting it to make it right, rather than flitting from pattern to pattern, and I think this has helped to improve the quality and wear-ability of what I make.

3. I made good progress in making separates and items I could wear everyday, less of the fancy  dresses that don't fit my lifestyle. That being said I did make a special occasion dress which was a success and was worn twice to weddings!

 

4. All my failures this year were blouses and tops, without exception. A big part of this was that it was only during the later part of the year that I started to realise why I had such a problem fitting them - a broad upper back. I still haven't perfected the adjustment but I'm getting closer and knowing what the problem is, is half the battle.

5. I feel I've had a pretty successful year all in all - made some stuff I love and wear frequently, learned more about what suits me and about how to alter patterns to fit better. Skills wise, I probably didn't push myself too much, but sewing is my hobby and I'm not going to give myself too hard a time about it. I'm not striving to be a couture dressmaker but to make clothes that fit and flatter me, and overall I feel I have done that successfully this year.

Moving on to thinking about sewing goals, I set myself 5 goals at the beginning of this year:

  1.  Take a more considered approach to my making - try and really think about what I need and will wear, and try and make things that I can wear together more.
  2. Keep to minimal high street purchasing
  3. Get rid of my shop bought items when I have handmade items to replace them
  4. Use my stash of wool, fabric and patterns as much as I can
  5. Keep enjoying sewing and knitting - and take a break if I don't
Nice and simple, and without going into detail for each one, I pretty much kept to them. I am still going to keep to minimal purchasing and try to make use of my stash but I wanted some new areas to concentrate on in 2013:
 5 Goals for 2013

1. Make something from jersey - finally!! After abandoning all hope with jersey when I thought my machine couldn't cope with it, I finally hit on the perfect stitch length and width combination so I will be putting that into action to make a garment this year. Hopefully more than one, all being well.

Previous adandoned jersey sewing attempt in April 2011

2.  Thoroughly review my wardrobe to see what I have and what I need and get rid of things I don't wear. Keep in mind colours, so I make items that go together - it wouldn't do any harm to inject a little more colour in my Winter Wardrobe too and be a little more adventurous.

3.  Make more effort to wear my handmades, look after them better (i.e. MEND THEM) or pass them on if they're not being worn.

4. Planning works for me. Keep making plans and really thinking through what I need.

5. Make sure I absolutely love the fabric/wool and pattern I'm using, This lessens the chance of an unworn item. If I'm not still loving a stash fabric or yarn - set it free!

Cardigan started using lovely yarn swapped with Kathryn of YesIlikethat. Don't get too excited, I've already invoked goal 5 by ripping it out to start something new after I was hating knitting the pattern (purl 7 together is really hard and not fun!)

It's been really interesting to review my year and think about goals, and what has and hasn't worked. I know that it's one of those things that everyone does this time of year and I don't care if no-one reads my review posts because it's just so useful for me. That being said, if you have read through all my thoughts then I hope you found something of interest.

Thank you all so much for reading my blog this year - I just love writing it and seeing the feedback you leave. I'm going to take a little break until the New Year but hopefully I will be back with some new items as I'm hoping to get a chance to sew over the holidays.

Merry Christmas everyone, see you in 2013!

K x

20 comments:

  1. And a Very Merry Christmas "Aussie style" right back at you - see you in 2013...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thay are very good lists, looking forward to seeing what you make next year, Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, and have a lovely holiday! :-) It's been interesting reading your recap of the year, and I'm looking forward to seeing your creations for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the consideration you have taken over your review. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This list is just right- not too hard, not to easy- totally Goldilocks. I could learn from it, if I were of a learnin' mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um....i love purl 7 together. would you consider a swap? yarn for your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to hang on to the pattern but I'm happy to scan it and email you, if you like?

      Delete

    2. lovely and thank you. might i share the p7tog trick? use a crochet hook instead of your right needle. then simply transfer the single stitch. cathiesue@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. That's a genius idea! Will keep that in mind for the future. I'll email that pattern in the next few days.

      Delete
  7. Great post, keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Purl SEVEN?!?!?! Yikes! Too bad, it's a really sweet pattern!

    It sounds like this was a really great year for you in that you've made some great strides in your sewing and fitting! I like that you're focused on making sure that you're really going to love something before you sew it-- that's so smart.

    It was so, so nice to meet you this year! What great fun this sewing/blogging community is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Christmas, I'm loving the yearly reviews.
    I just finished the Craftsy course on sewing with knits and thought I could pass on the setting that Meg suggests in the course:
    Zig Zag Stitch; Stitch Width: 1; Stitch Length: 2.5. Works for me and a walking foot is a great idea too.
    Susan X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to read about your reflections and plans - here's to a happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purl seven together??? That is crazy hard! But the pattern is divine, I would love a scanned copy if you wouldn't mind - happy to scan you some in return??
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BTW - it was lovely to meet you earlier in the year too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that was a really thoughtful post and its set me thinking too about my making. Hope you have a very happy Christmas and 'see; you in the New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a list maker and planner and I love the idea of keeping a sewing diary. I need to write things down when I sew because I usually remember how I changed something after I sew it. This was a really inspiring post. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you have a fantastic festive season (or what is left of it!) Loving the goals for 2013- you're going to rock them for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say