FO: A Very Scottish Cardigan


It's finished! It's finished! My Manu is finished. I started it 6 months ago, and after a few breaks it is complete. It couldn't have come it a better time - as the weather gets colder I really need more cardigans to wear. I never actually put away my knitted cardigans and jumpers at the end of the season because they are pretty much needed all year. However it's nice to have a new piece of knitwear to throw into the mix.


Here's my notes on the project:

Modifications
  • Narrowed sleeves as I found them too blousy. So, after the cast on edge and garter stitch rows I increased to 51 instead of 70-something and maintained that for the whole arm. Maybe could have done with increasing a little for the upper arm as it's a snug fit but I much prefer the more closely fitting arm. If you do this be aware that it will affect the short row shaping you do after attaching arms to body..
  • Reversed the pleat direction on one side using Ravelry notes from another knitter (can't remember who but it's not hard)
  • Cast on 30 sts for pockets instead of 36 and increased to 50 instead of doubling number of stitches, as I didn’t want to the pockets to be too blousy
  • I had trouble getting gauge with this yarn so went down to a 3.25mm needle and also made a size smaller than I intended. This generally worked out well.
New Techniques Learned

  • Carol Sunday's short row method. It seemed like a bit of a faff as you have to use lots of spare yarn to mark but was a really effective method that doesn't leave holes like the wrap and turn (or whatever it's called) method. I recommend her You Tube Video on Sunday short rows. This helped enormously.
  • I-cord bind off and buttonholes
  • Pleating - never tried this for knits before! Was a little tricky but produces a nice result.
Material Notes

I used New Lanark Donegal Silk Tweed DK. It is 90% wool and 10% silk. This yarn is not as soft as some wools, like maybe a Rowan Pure Wool, but it has a lovely flecked appearance and feels robust and cosy like a more traditional type of wool. It did soften a bit when blocked with a no rinse wool wash - I wouldn't use it for baby clothes but I really like it.

The yarn was a gift from my In-Laws - as were the leaf buttons I used. I didn't have the right shade of blue in my stash so went for metal buttons which pick up on the yellow fleck through the yarn.


Helpful Note for other Knitters
  •   Be aware of the provisional cast on method. I used my usual method and only at the end realised that provisional method is required so you can 'unzip' it and do an i-cord bind off around all edges and cuffs. Whoops! I was able to pick up and knit instead which worked ok.
  • There is a LOT of stocking stitch required with the other techniques all required at the end of the knit.
  • This pattern is recommended for a confident knitter. Some of the techniques are a bit tricky to get your head around, though the main part of the knit is straightforward.
  • The neckline pleats look blousy and puffy until blocking sorts them out.

Conclusion

I am so happy with my cardigan. I love the length, the pockets, the pleat details. It took longer to knit than it should have, due to breaks,  but was worth it. I know this will be a wardrobe staple for some time to come. I also like that it was made in Scotland, with Scottish wool, using a pattern made by a Scottish Knitwear Designer - Kate Davies.

Now I just need to think about what to knit next, hopefully using some stashed yarn....

K x

How it will usually be worn - with hands stuffed into pockets

EDIT: My cardigan is on Ravelry here

35 comments:

  1. Woooww I love all the hard work and love made this cardigan so precious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely perfect. I love all the thought and detail you put into it - it really shows in the finished garment. And now I want to go find some of that yarn and touch it, because it sounds like it feels delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it - those buttons are gorgeous! definitely going to check out kate davies. i keep thinking i will get back to knitting, but then i don't have time to do that and sewing. but i suppose i could knit on the train. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the train is my favourite place to knit, it's a great way to spend the journey.

      Delete
    2. i'm totally obsessing over kate davies now - the deco cardie is gorgeous and that scalloped top is amazing! thanks for introducing me to her!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I love the pleats and thank you for the casting on warning - exactly what I would have done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd never heard of the method before this pattern.

      Delete
  5. It's gorgeous! And the buttons/leaves are such a great touch. So autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful. It looks fab. I do love Kate's design...she's inspirational even to a non knitter like me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous cardigan you have made. I had already bookmarked this on Ravelry but after reading about yours it seems out of my league. I have just learned the wrap and turn ( short row shaping) and it took lots of You tube videos to help that sink in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope I haven't put you off too much. There are a couple of tricky techniques but it's definitely worth it.

      Delete
  8. It is gorgeous!! The yarn looks beautiful, and the buttons are lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fantastic on you!! And what perfect yarn. I love the modifications you made to the original as well. A real winner for fall/winter for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha, was very pleased with the fit.

      Delete
  10. those pleats are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on finishing it - it looks great! I wish I could say I was nearly finished on the baby blanket I'm knitting - it's taking forever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely! I really like the color on you too. Cardigans are a staple in my closet, but I have yet to knit one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice cardigan! Well done. I like the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! I love that blue you chose, very flattering with your coloring.

    You could make it a hint more Scottish by drinking scotch while modelling it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! If only I liked whisky - maybe I could eat haggis instead?
      :-)

      Delete
  15. I love it! This will go with so much, what a great staple. I am working on the Lorna Suzanne cardi, I should finish in time for the height of summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great cardi! I love the pleats and pockets too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, its a pipe dream at the moment (as i only started knitting 2 weeks ago), but i'd love make a cardigan like that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great! Pretty colour too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! That pleating looks wonderful and the colour is stunning. Well done with all the alterations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooo - this is gorgeous. I love the colour and it looks so cosy. The pleating detail and the buttons really make it. I bet you'll wear it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivani, it's already been getting a lot of wear.

      Delete
  21. It's so lovely! I love all of the pleating details and I completely agree with your choice of buttons - the little yellow flecks in the yarn seem to magically appear! What a marvelous piece - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really nice work! Ugh it looks so cozy and snuggly! That is so awesome that your in-laws gifted you the yarn. That's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty! I like the deep blue and the ruching details :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is gorgeous! It really looks perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE this cardigan! If only I could knit....:(

    ReplyDelete
  26. it looks fab! nice work and nice Kate's pattern :) I hadn't yet know this one of her designs.
    New Lanark: it's at the top of my wish list, Kate blogged about it not long ago and loved both the yarn and the (hi)story behind it: http://katedaviesdesigns.com/tag/new-lanark/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say