FO: Big Apple Skirt

These are bad photographs. Terrible photographs. Aside from the fact that my face was not cooperating and so was cut out off the pictures, the fabric of this skirt photographs so badly. It has a strange glowing quality about it when photographed that I cannot explain. None of these photographs really show the true colour and you can't even see the nicely shaped pockets! Sigh.... Still, you can see the shape of the skirt (which I love) and get the general idea.
 
 (My hand is on the door knob in the photo on the right, that's why it looks weird)

This is the first item made with my fabric bought in New York, as blogged here. I used it to make my go-to skirt - Simplicity 3983:
 

I made view 1 of Simplicity 3983 with shaped edge pockets. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the pockets, the shape and the fact it has one seam.


Fabric & Notions
Textured red corduroy from Mood Fabrics with a scrap striped craft cotton for the inside of the pockets. I lined it with a pongee fabric in a similar bright red.

The cord is quite soft and the cut edges shed little pieces of bright red which have migrated throughout the house and stuck to all my clothes. It's a slightly strange fabric, with a soft but ridged texture that reminds me of the material used to make the seats on buses. I really like it though. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
Took a few inches off the length to make it fall just above the knee. Made the pockets deeper by adding 4" to the pocket piece. I also lined it as I knew I'd be wearing it a lot with skirts this winter.

Would you sew it again and do anything different next time?
It's the third time I've made this pattern so I know how I like it. That said, I need to make the waistband a little bigger.

Did you use any new techniques?
Nope.

Would you recommend the pattern to others?
I already have - I even inspired the stylish Handmade Jane to make one! 

Cost
Fabric £13, lining £3, zip 20p (stash), £2.50-ish pattern (as it's on its 3rd use), other fabric is scrap. £18.70 in total. 

Conclusion
Love the pattern, love the fabric, it's a winner. I've had compliments the few times I've worn it. Here's a secret though - the waistband is too small and I need to make a loop for a button above the zip to allow extra room. I haven't been bothered to do it yet though and I'm just wearing it anyway, with a gappy waistband at the back.....ssssshhhhh....


K x

30 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! It's such a flattering shape and the colour is lovely! I've plans for a cord Ginger for the winter and if it comes out even a fraction as pretty as this I'll be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ginger would be lovely in cord too.

      Delete
  2. No noon wonder its your go to pattern, it really is flattering. What great fabric too, I know you say the pics don't do it justice, but it was that bus seat imagery that said it for me! I bet it'll be really cosy this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Kerry, then that's because I have a total soft spot for a one seam red cord skirt! I know what you mean about the bits of red pile going everywhere, when I made mine it was like seeing little ants all over he house! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still finding them a couple of weeks after making it! But at least it was worth it :)

      Delete
  4. Love it Kerry! You've found such a great shape and fit in this pattern and it looks so nice and simple to sew up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contrast pockets. And I really like the shoes you paired it with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's lovely, wonderful colour and shape and the pockets are such a pretty touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color is fantastic - I love bright corduroy! It's perfect as a skirt - this pattern is so fabulous I've started searching out my own - love your versions so much! Those contrast pockets are just fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous colour and style - and it's corduroy!

    Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I really want to make something red soon - pants or a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fabulously vivid shade of red, it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I'm jealous! Great skirt and suits you perfectly. I've been enjoying looking at some of your older posts too that I've somehow missed before. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful skirt.. Love this pattern

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a gorgeous skirt Kerry I love the contrast pocket lining. It's a real wow piece in that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks super cute! And own the gapey waistband- call it a "design feature" an no one will know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These one seam skirts are so perfect on you! I don't understand how they fit so well with only one seam, lol!
    It looks so great :) And I love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely adore this skirt... and all the others you've made from the pattern. You inspired me to Frankenpattern and try my own version in an olive green corduroy. I have gotten endless compliments on it, and I'd like to give you some of the credit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to hear that Janelle! Glad yours turned out so well too.

      Delete
  17. This looks absolutely beautiful! I love the shape and color on you (and I got to see the real color!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you did! :) It seems like a long time ago now, it was such a lovely day.

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous!! I love the shape of this skirt. I finished an a-line cord skirt a few days ago, but it's a bit too a-line (if that makes sense!). I'm going to try and bring it in a bit at the side seams, as I like the shape of your skirt much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I do know what you mean, some cords can be a quite heavy so will make the shape sit out more stuffly. Hope you get it sorted out.

      Delete
  19. Cute! I love a bright skirt and I really want to make a pattern like this. That whole 1 seam thing sounds great...AND there are adorable pockets?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice! Colour is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohh I love this pattern, I recently bought a similar skirt in a Vintage shop and really fancied making one in a different fabric, off to Etsy and Ebay now to look for an old copy of this in my size....wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say