Finished: Personalised Baby Blanket

 

A couple of weekends ago I made this blanket for newborn baby Jamie. Having made a number of baby presents over the last couple of years, I am still working out what makes a good present - trying to balance usefulness with wash-ability. I've had the idea for a while to make a blanket that uses colourful craft cotton as well as more snuggly flannel, but with a nice silky edging. I like some of the printed fleeces you can buy which wash well, but I wanted something that was mostly natural fibres.


I used a metre of Hungry Caterpillar fabric (the dotted side, but without any caterpillars) and a metre of white flannel. For the edging I used some 70mm wide dark blue ribbon and the applique letter was made using some scrap green fabric I had. The whole thing is about a metre square - just over, as they were generous with their measuring in Remnant Kings.

I washed all the fabrics and ribbon before use to make sure that there would be no bleeding in the future. It was the first time I had tried applique and it was pretty easy! The hardest bit was sewing on the slippy satin ribbon around the edge. That bit could have been neater but I'm pretty pleased with the overall effect. You could add batting to make it more like a quilt, but I thought that I light blanket might be more versatile.

Cost-wise, the most expensive part was actually the ribbon. I bought 5 metres to allow room for errors and at £1.75 per metre that cost £8.75. 100% cotton flannel was £3.99 per metre and cotton about £8 I think.

I can see myself making more similar style blankets in the future. I might put together a tutorial next time too.

K x

 If you're reading this Catherine - I'm sorry, I couldn't prevent Dot from lying down on it, almost the instant I put it down to photograph

11 comments:

  1. oo nice! i've never tried applique but would be interested to learn. i just bought some of that hungry caterpillar fabirc yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uber-cute :) The J looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly Dot saw dotted fabric and thought it was hers. I'd have done the same thing.

    My go to baby gifts are flannel blankets/huge rags. I get 1 yard of 45" wide flannel in a few cute prints and make a square, round off the corners and just serge around the edges (usually with wooly nylon to make it more 'finished') and add a dot of fraycheck to stop it coming out. You can use them as blankets, puke wiper ups, breastfeeding hides, whatevs. I use the scraps and applique them onto onesies if I'm feeling extra baby love.

    There is a point in your life when everyone's procreating at once and it's handy to have some go to ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh it's gorgeous, love the colourfulness of it, great idea for an original pressie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I spotted the hungry caterpillar fabric when I was shopping the other day - it's gorgeous and I love what you've done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very cute! I made a baby blanket for a present as well - the binding was a nightmare! In the end I did it twice, and then just dealt with it being less than perfect as I wasn't going to go a third time. It still frustrates me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the blanket is gorgeous. You are very clever. Oh and yes for a tutorial. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That blanket is absolutely brilliant! I love how Dot's testing it out for snuggliness, I think she needs her own! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! The applique looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. offer dropper

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say