Finished: Eiffel Tower Dress

 

You know, I tried really hard to think of some kind of clever, punning name for this dress. I really wracked my brains and came up with some terrible Eiffel/Trifle puns which are so bad I'm not going to share. As you can see, I went for the obvious in the end - but don't think for a minute that means that I don't love this dress, because yet again, Simplicity 4903 has come up trumps.

You may remember my recent duvet cover dress, which was a wearable muslin for this dress. You can read my full review of the pattern here.


I made it up with the same adjustments as before, except I added a larger shoulder adjustment. This resulted in me having a lot more arm movement (and who doesn't like being able to move their arms freely?) but I think I should only have adjusted extra on the back, as it is a little bigger in the upper chest than I would like.


No matter, I think it's still turned out well.

I am uber-chuffed with the sleeves. I have grown to hate and dread setting in sleeves but these are my best yet. The secret? Simply put, removing some of the ease at the sleeve cap which just happened when I corrected my over-adjustment for my wide shoulders by increasing the seam allowance at the top of the sleeve.

 
 And shouldn't all dresses have pockets?

I made extra effort to finish the inside nicely too - adding a lined skirt (made from amusingly-named pongee) with lace edging and using seam binding to finish at the zip. The seam binding isn't the neatest, as you can see from the photo, but it was my first time using it.


After getting worried about using crafting cotton for the sleeves, they turned out really well. I must of course mention the fab Michael Miller Eiffel Tower print fabric. I don't think the colours are the best for me (not as good as the el cheapo duvet cover dress, in fact) but it's certainly a 'conversation piece' dress.

The view from above, so you can see my sandals (Clarks) and this is truest to the actual colour of the dress

This isn't the last you'll see of this pattern, I'm definitely going to make a Winter version in wool too. Such is my love for Simplicity 4903 that I have given my Colette Peony pattern away to a friend - Simplicity 4903 forever!

K x

29 comments:

  1. What a lovely shape on you and the fabric is very sweet. The overall shape of your dress reminds me of Simplicity 2444 - which funnily enough I made in a Paris theme fabric as well! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love that print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made a lovely dress! And I love your shoes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fab dress Kerry - great print choice! I have this pattern now too (I got it in my sewing swap) so look forward to doing it and seeing how it measures up to the Peony too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kerry, this is wonderful - and a great simple shape to show off the fabulous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have called it the Roisin dress, since your lovely dresses in this fabric were my inspiration!

      Delete
  6. Wow that dress is lovely! I so love that print too! I think I might have to give that pattern a try myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo!! This is lovely. I love the fabric, the inside and the fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've certainly found yourself a winning pattern here, this rendition is as wonderful as your first...lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute. Looks like you've got the fit of this pattern down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look smashing!! What a great dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerry it REALLY SUITS YOU! If ever there is a dress style that is perfect for you it is this. And then you used such awesome fabric....I am insanely jealous!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous dress and it looks so cute on you! I love this fabric. I bought some in the black/white colourway recently. You've inspired me to seek out this Simplicity pattern (particularly because I still haven't got my head around the adjustments needed for the tricky Peony bodice!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another convert! :) Yep, I made a Peony that I was unhappy with the bodice fit on too. This isn't perfect (yet!) but is so, so much better.

      Delete
  13. That is just gorgeous! I think those colours really suit you and I love the print. The fit looks spot on and I wouldn't worry about the upper chest at all. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely - I have the powder pink and black version of this fabric in my stash but I really love this colour combo!!! It is deliciously whimsical but also very wearable.
    Could you call it a robe a la francaise?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cute! I super love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that looks so lovely! I'm always terrible when it comes to looking at prints and seeing a dress or a shirt or something, which is why I tend to stick to solids, but that looks so great that I almost want to go out and find something similar!

    The dress looks beautifully constructed and it looks so great on you. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're totally rocking that pattern :) Love the print and couldn't agree more - the sleeves look great!! It's amazing how much difference a small amount of fabric on the seam line can make...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! Those adjustments made for an excellent fit. Kudos! Are you planning on another version? A big eyelet or a lawn border print?

    Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So lovely! I'm so glad you've found a pattern that you love. And you're right- so flattering :) I'm still trying to visualise your sleeve adjustment... they are a mystery to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is lovely - I have ordered this fabric too and was going to make up a sleeveless dress, haven't decided on the exact pattern yet. It is nice to see the fabric falls nicely. Great job on the pattern matching at the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a great dress! I loved the original wearable muslin too, but this fabric is just lovely! The dress looks so flatering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great fit! And I love the inside details too!
    Tower power! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh its Gorgeous! and wonderful that you have made it just as pretty inside as it is out! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, so nicely done! I love it- the belt is a nice pop.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh Kerry - love it! This is what I was talking about in my last dress post, I love your little finishing touches to the lining, so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hurrah for a go-to pattern! I'm also a big fan of arm-movement. I love the dress! It makes me wonder why everyone doesn't wear more conversation pieces (:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say