Mystical Baked Beans Maxi Dress

 
 Displaying a pasty arm. It's the British way.
 
It's done! After the people spoke (or in fact, wrote), I used my wax print fabric to make a maxi dress by extending the skirt on this Style pattern:
Don't you think the pattern on the fabric has a definite 'baked beans' look to it?

 Here's how the project went....

 Pattern Used
 
 Style 2667 from the 80s. I made view 3 with a square neckline, extended it to maxi length

 What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
 I liked the neckline, and the potential for extending the length. I also thought it would suit a belt, but now made, I prefer it without.

Fabric & Notions

Fabric was a wax print bought last year in Goldhawk Road. I bought it without a plan in mind and ended up with 4.8 metres worth as it was the end of a roll, so it was destined to be made into a maxi. Once washed, the fabric turned out to be quite thin (much more so than the usual wax fabrics I think) so I needed to line the bodice. If it was a shorter dress I would have lined the whole thing, but life's too short to line a maxi dress that will probably get limited wear.

 
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
Added 1" to the bodice and extended the skirt length. I had to change the strap positioning so that they covered my bra straps (mostly). I also lined the bodice with black poly cotton.

Would you sew it again and do anything different next time?
I might sew it again in the shorter length for a fun sun dress, but I have no immediate plans to do so.

Did you use any new techniques?
Extending a skirt to a longer length. I made a new pattern piece and had to play around with the shape. In hindsight, I would have been better to just sew on a rectangle with gathers, as I think this would have created a better shape. 

Would you recommend the pattern to others?
Yep, there are a couple of other nice bodice variations too.

Cost
Fabric about £8, zip £1.50, thread £1.55, pattern 49p so £11.54 total.

Conclusion 
I'm pretty happy with the result. The bodice is a good fit, although it is a little wrinkled at the sides, which might be something to do with how attaching the lining affected it. The shape of the skirt is a bit weird as it flares out from the waist but then in again at the bottom. Not sure why this is, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I made it for holiday wear and it will be perfect for this - I don't see myself floating round my neighbourhood in it, but you never know! 
A voluminous skirt is the perfect hiding place for cats

What do you think of maxi dresses? Would you make one?

K x

27 comments:

  1. Fabulous! you look gorgeous and you could wear it anywhere, just stick a denim jacket and some old leather boots on with it and you'll rock.
    You know I love maxi dresses! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look lovely ! Ha ! I laughed at the beans and I see where you are coming from, but I honestly would not have thought about the beans if you didnt mention them :-) I love the dress on you. BTW I tried to disguise my pasty UK arms with some dove tan stuff, IT DID NOT GO WELL. I wish to return to pasty white poste haste please lol. K xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - I don't mind being pale at all, just sometimes it's a bit surprising when you see how pasty you look!

      Delete
  3. This looks great! It will be perfect for vacation! Great job, you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, it turned out so cute! I'm not really a maxi dress person, but you're making me think twice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can take the volume of the skirt very well.. looks lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it! It's perfect for the summer that's finally heading our way. As a recent maxi convert I can heartily recommend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really great on you! I tried lengthening a dress pattern into a maxi dress and ended up chopping off the length. I think I just did have the right fabric (too stiff) for a maxi.
    On the other hand, I just made a (stretch) maxi which turned out good.
    They're really comfortable and I'm sure it will come in handy on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so pretty. You can definitely rock a maxi with no problem. That fabric is so rich, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice. I love the long length with that fabric. I'm in the middle of making my first maxi dress in years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! I like the shape, and the fabric is fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, you have a wonderful frame for the maxi....its lovely Kerry, you've done a great job with the fitting too. I can imagine this in sunnier climes, sunglasses and big straw hat....great fabric too. I am still a maxi avoider, being short, but seeing more and more inspiration like this is making me think more deeply!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I DO have just the large hat perfect to wear with this!

      Delete
  12. Another gorgeous frock! I love maxi dresses. I haven't made one for years...I might have a go this summer. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have never considered a maxi dress, but first Joanne's and now yours and I'm changing my mind, they are lovely. Perfect for the hot weather heading our way (apparently)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't figure out the baked beans comment for a good minute or so and now that's all I can see haha. It looks great! I, too, was never one to wander about in maxi dresses until my friend gave one to me and now I live in it. You should definitely wear this out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's lovely. I love the colours in the baked beans fabric. Very mystic indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! It really accentuates your lovely small waist :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it! I don't know about the baked beans thing, maybe that didn't translate to me?!? I do know you look cute.

    I'd totally make a maxi dress (how best to hide those stubbly legs?) but I'd make it in a knit fabric. Well truth be told, I'd make everything in a knit fabric. Also I don't live in Scotland so I'd get more use from a sundress ;-) Happy holidays though!

    P.s. I'm pale (or fair as I like to say) and live in California with ample sun supply, so enjoy your sexy fairness...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it on you (and other tall leggy dames) but it ain't for me thanks. Gimli the dwarf boycotts Maxis and so do i XD Unless they're made in clingy, drapey, jersey. Which is a story for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree with all posted- you are one leggy serving of baked beans- this style is perfect on you. Get thee to a beach for strolling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ach, it looks great! I have been sort of resisting the maxi-dress urge as I know once made I'll never wear one--just doesn't fit my lifestyle really--but this is making me want to, badly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooooh lovely. I would defiantly make a maxi dress, although the weather has not really inspired me to make one this summer!!! I enjoy swishing about in a long skirt, there is just something about it...I think it makes me feel like I'm from past times or something!! The bodice on this one reminds me a bit of the Colette Hazel. It really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I knew this fabric would look brilliant as a maxi! I did try to make a maxi once before (not very successfully) but the sheer amount of fabric involved stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE this! I need a maxi dress and you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks fantastic! I love how the fabric works perfectly with this pattern. I think the neckline is my favorite part! I hope you get chances to wear it often before summer is over :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's a lovely dress in an unusual fabric - it's fun to see a maxi sundress in something other than a cheery pastel sometimes, no? I love the maxi I made this summer because all that fabric is so comfortable for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say