99% Awesome Dress

I really love this dress. Really, really love it. I'm not particularly vain, but I will admit that I have spent a fair amount of time looking at myself in this dress, and thinking how much I love it. I love the shape, the fit and the fabric - it's quite a win for something that was originally intended to be a wearable muslin.

The fabric was a duvet cover bought cheaply a few weeks ago to be used to make a muslin. I would normally have just made a bodice muslin for a new pattern, but the fabric pattern grew on me, so I thought I may a well just make the full thing.

The pattern was bought from Etsy a couple of months ago when I bought a different pattern from a seller, and thought I may as well see what else she had since I was paying for the postage from the US. Soon afterwards I wondered why I'd bought it, since it's fairly similar to the Peony dress. But, since I'd kind of fallen out with that pattern, I thought I'd give this a whirl.

The fabric pattern might not be to everyone's tastes but I really love it, especially paired with a red belt. But I think it's the fit that makes the dress. My work friend commented today that it looked like it was made exactly to fit me. And that's a great compliment to receive on an item you've made. After having spent that last 2 years making 36" bust patterns and then taking them in, I made a 34" bust pattern and adjusted for my wide shoulders. I don't know why it's taken so long to figure that one out. The shape of the skirt is also super flattering.

The final version isn't perfect, but it's pretty close. I also managed to put the pockets at the perfect height, and used a bias faced neckline for the first time, which I love.
 
Here's my review of the project:

Pattern Used
 
Simplicity 4903 from the 1960s. I made view 2, with short sleeves, but left off the little bows at the waist.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the shape of the neckline and that it seemed like a classic style. 

Fabric & Notions
I used a duvet cover for the fabric plus an invisible zip.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
I added pockets - of course! I put them 2.5" down from the waist. I added my customary 1" to the bodice and also made a wide shoulder adjustment.

Would you sew it again and do anything different next time?
I will be sewing it again as this was technically a muslin. Next time I am adding more room for shoulders and will also lower the armscye a little - during wear I noticed that it was a little high.

Did you use any new techniques?
Yes! Instead of facing at the neckline I used bias tape.

Er, why have I never used this technique before? It's amazing! It worked like a dream and looks lovely and neat. Every time I learn something new in sewing I think it's the best thing ever and that's just how I feel about this.

Would you recommend it to others?
Yes.

Cost
Duvet cover was 99p, zip about £1.50, pattern about £6, thread £1.45 so £9.94 in total.

Conclusion
You know how I feel about it, no need to repeat myself. This weekend I will be making it using this:



Lovely Michael Miller Eiffel Tower fabulousness. I've managed to cut the pattern out with the towers the right way up - phew for that, so am hoping I can just fix the wide shoulder adjustment to my satisfaction.

After reading Tilly's helpful guide on sewing with quilting cotton today, I am now a little wary about adding the sleeves. But forewarned is forearmed so I'm going to give it a go, and if it looks awful I'll make it sleeveless.

I'll leave you with a photo of me and Tilda celebrating the dress....


K x

50 comments:

  1. That is an absolute winner of the dress. The second the page loaded and I saw the first picture - I honestly thought 'yay! another peony!'. It was much to my surprise to find that it wasn't! But hey, its not like it matters. What does is that you have a super flattering dress. And what is more satisfying than that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fit. Did you widen the shoulders using an FBA type adjustment or some other sort of adjustment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the adjustment that's from the 'Fit for Real People' book where you extend the top of the shoulder out and taper down the armscye - I can explain it in a separate post for anyone that's interested.

      Delete
  3. Ooh its lovely! That's why I want to start sewing again, so I can have clothes that fit just right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely dress! I've never had an issue with using quilting or heavier cotton for sleeves, after all you would use denim or thick wool etc for coat sleeves so why should cotton be an issue? Looking forward to seeing the Eiffel Tower version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, good point! I suppose it's that they might sit a bit oddly and stiffly, but maybe shorter sleeves would be ok.

      Delete
  5. gorgeous dress! and amazing fit - well done!!! You have no idea how hard it is for me to resist hunting out a copy of this pattern for myself. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant believe thats a duvet cover! you have opened my eyes to more thrifting possibilities! :D The fit is fabulous and you look stunning wearing it! I also love Tilda´s face! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep always worth checking out the bed linens section. Just yesterday I found a cool 70s floral bed cover that would have been perfect for a dress but it was pink, so not my colour!

      Delete
  7. Ahh that's really lovely Kerry - it does look like an amazing fit. Love the fact that it was a duvet once too. Lovely job :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does look like it fits you perfectly - that's a big win!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is elegant and looks like effortless dressing as an outfit. What a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fit looks amazing. Like Shivani, I am trying to resist hunting this pattern down. I love the shape of the dress so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep looking at yourself in the mirror, it's gorgeous. The fit is so good. I love the shape of it too. Wearable-muslin-that's-awesome for the win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great on you! I love replacing facings with bias tape too - so much nicer to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really, really cute! This fits you beautifully and is super flattering! I'm glad you figured out a useful alteration for your shape-- I foresee many perfect dresses in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tilda looks thrilled! Seriously though, well done, this is lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite her serious look, she's definitely a fan :)

      Delete
  15. Great dress - it really does fit you so well! It's so flattering and I personally I love the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one lovely dress and it not only does it fit you perfectly but suits you perfectly too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job, Kerry! It looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! The perfect work dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't blame you for spending a lot of time looking at it, it's fabulous!! The fit is fantastic, and I love the fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. 100% awesome dress in my book. That is a superb fit. I love the last photo with your cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I was tempted to call it that, but after wearing it for a day and finding the armholes a little tight, I felt I could not in all good conscience call it 100% awesome :)

      Delete
  21. I'm with Karen, it's definitely 100% awesome! It literally is the perfect fit and the fabric has such a lovely retro vibe. I think you're found yourself a keeper...here's to many more delightful versions!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought this was a Peony dress! It looks really great on you, lovely fit. I will be keeping an eye out for bed linen in charity shops now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous make, you look wonderful and it fits to perfection!
    I love your cat's expression! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Why only 99% though? It looks 100% to me! And your friend is absolutely right - the fit is spot-on, it totally looks made for you (bonus that is actually was!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. awesome fit! That is great that you found a good adjustment to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. the fit and style of this dress really do look fantastic on you! Way to go :) I think it's very classic.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this dress. I thought this was the Peony at first. Great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the lovely comments everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It really suits you!! I love that fabric too. I think it is cute that the bias cut facing has the pattern going straight along it too, quite an eye tricker :)
    Top tip to get your bias facing sitting even better, is to steam press some curve into the bias before applying it. Just work it on the ironing board with the steam iron and bending it towards you, a little at a time. You can get a perfectly flat circle even. It doesn't have to correspond exactly to your neckline but the closer you can get it, the easier it is to apply :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love using bias tape instead of facings! My facings tend to flip up on all of my garments, so now I eliminate these whenever possible. Your dress is very lovely, and it looks great paired with that red belt! I love the style and fabric together - very well done! Your Eiffel Tower version is going to be smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks 100% perfect to me Kerry. Classy, elegant and perfect, I'm not surprised you keep looking in the mirror! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning dress and the colours suit you so well.m

    ReplyDelete
  33. ohh it looks so good! I totally relate to the looking in the mirror part - I do that all the time, still can't believe to be making my own clothes, and that they don't completely tear while wearing them :) And I can see why you want to look at this dress over and over again, it's really great.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That dress looks absolutely fabulous on you! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well that's a stunner! This is so you and the fit is fantastic! Congrats! It looks killer with the belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. This dress really does fit so well. And gives the fabric a much more exciting life! I really like the sleeves as well. That sit really nicely, probably because of the alterations that you made. I always have issues with sleeves because it's hard to get all the other areas fitting well. Im looking forward to seeing how this dress comes out in the other fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Re: Bust size-Nancy (from Sewing with Nancy) says that (especially) with vintage patterns you should choose the bust size based on your upper bust measurement (i.e. the part with the least amount of boobage). I've found this actually works even for current McCalls (because they're just designed with so much ease.. either that or they're still using the slopers they made back in the 1950s which are based off women in bullet bras XD).

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a duvet cover? You would never know, it looks fabulous. The simple lined dress pattern really highlights the pattern of the fabric and the fit is perfect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Umm, excuse me, I'm going to say this is a 100% awesome dress!!!! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  40. oh wow! love the dress and the fabric. agree. 100% awesome.x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely lovely! It's bang on, the fit is great and who'd have thought it was a duvet cover in another life? 100% I say!xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Awesome doesn't do it justice! You look gorgeous in it!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  43. 120%+ lovely! The fit, the style, the colour... I think it is perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  44. wonderful make! the fabric and the pattern go so well together - I'm not sure I would wear myself but it looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, that dress is fab! Exactly like your friend said, it fits you perfectly! The fabric print is fantastic too. You see a lot of people who make clothing/muslins out of bedding. I really need to start paying a closer look to bedding ranges to see if they can work as clothing for me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say