PJs for the Partay

 With PJ Party Buddy Dot (who looks grumpy, maybe because she's not invited)

Well. It's safe to say that I never thought I would be appearing on the internet in pyjamas. But look! Here I am. It might be a little 19th century of me to say that I am a bit freaked out that a portion of my naked leg can be seen, but I'm pretty sure there are more shocking things you can see online, so I'm going to get over it.

  

Until Karen launched her Pyjama Party, I hadn't thought much about sewing my own pyjamas. But now, now! - a whole new area of my wardrobe has opened up since I've discovered how easy it is. A pair of PJ bottoms would be the perfect confidence-building project for a beginner too.

Here's a quick review of the pattern I used:

Pattern Used


Simplicity 9505, a modern pattern with options for several types of tops and bottoms. I made the short sleeved top with shorts, the same as the demonic cover lady in pink is wearing. I was planning to make a long pair of PJ bottoms but didn’t have quite enough fabric – I only just had enough to squeeze these two pieces out, but was determined to use the fabric I had rather than buy anything new.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I liked the number of different options available in the pattern and that it said it was quick.

Fabric & Notions 
Cream coloured cotton with a small brown floral-type design. Purchased at Goldhawk Road in November last year for about £3.50 per metre. I also used elastic and a small amount of brown ribbon to make the bow on the top.

Did you use any new techniques?
Raglan sleeves were new to me. They are SO easy too.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
I’m planning to make the PJ bottoms and might make something else from it in the future too. It’s a simple pattern to follow and quick to make. Instructions are straightforward and could be tackled by a beginner. I loved how easy the shorts were and I’m going to make some pyjama bottoms for my husband too, now I’ve seen how easy it can be.


Cost

About £13 including the pattern
Conclusion 
I’m delighted that these were so easy to make and I think they will be pretty useful. Glad to be able to use some of the stash as well so hooray for that.

Looking forward to seeing what my fellow PJ Party participants are wearing!

K x

27 comments:

  1. Kerry, GREAT summer pjs - I really like the top too & am partial myself for little shorties. That's the nice thing about PJs, isn't it? They are quick to make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your PJs!!!! And why can't Buddy Dot come to the party? hehehehe...s/he would love Echo and Ebi!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute! and these shorts look comfy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats an adorable pjs my friend. I was also worried about shout my pjs too , but we have such a safe and caring sewing community that was worth been part of it.. I was also very delighted to learn that lounge wear is so easy and fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the top and the shorts are very cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool PJs! I love doing raglan sleeves - no 'easing' the sleeve caps, yaay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I hate that easing too, I always find it so hard.

      Delete
  7. Wasn't this a quick and pretty pattern? Great fabric choice- I love the bow. I put little dove buttons on mine, but I think they got lost in my loud print! Happy Pyjama Party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your PJs and the fact that your cat got into not one, but two of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're so sweet and pretty. Good to know raglan sleeves are easy to sew too. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I made two shorts from a similar Ottobre pattern. But it's cold in Melbourne now (finally!) so I made long 'uns from Burda. My top is long sleeved too. =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute set, most definitely a PJ success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this set! I'm quite jealous of all the matching top and bottoms I've seen in this party now. The materials lovely too - my kind of print!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, cute! Yes, what a shocking glimpse of thigh. Someone pass me the smelling salts! These are so YOU. You look really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! There's something 1960's-ish about them somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice! I could do with a similar pair for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are lovely pjs! - I love the style of the top, oh dear I think I feel another purchase coming on ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh I love your PJ's they are adorable I'm going to get this pattern, you cat is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your PJs, especially the print! They look so comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay PJs! I thought of joining the sewalong but didn't. I shall live vicariously through you. These turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, those are adorable! Love the finishing on the neck and sleeves of the top - it looks pretty, practical, and comfy, all at once. Perfect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your PJs look great - you could answer the door wearing those without shame!! That's my personal nightmare by the way, as my night-time attire is very tatty!!
    In fact, I might look out for this pattern too and use up some of my fabric stash.Funnily enough, I brought some secondhand patterns yesterday which included night wear.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these PJ's just the thing for holiday wear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great PJ's, I didn't swoon at the sight of leg!

    ReplyDelete
  24. very cute pjs! I don't think I've owned a matching set since I was 10, but having seen these, I suddenly NEED a pair.

    Another example of how one really needs to look past the crazy styling/models on pattern envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these! They're so dainty and fun! Love!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say