Finished: 1940s Fairisle Sweater

It's done! It's done! I started to knit this jumper on September 9th last year and now I have finally finished it.

It's been a rocky road. I had a few false starts with ripping out (see here) before I finally got going, even then I was not using the right gauge and going a little rogue.

It doesn't look quite like the pattern picture...

But it's good enough for me.

I didn't really enjoy the knit as much as I'd hoped. The 'four-leaf' pattern sections were really tricky, when you had to carry three colours along. I really struggled with tension on those parts. In hindsight I might have used intarsia for those bits, but that would have involved juggling with little balls of wool, and I already had enough ends to wind in.

All the cut off ends

I would tackle fairisle again but I feel a lot better equipped to know what to look for in a pattern. I know I am terrible for not reading patterns through and just diving in (I find it hard to translate from instructions to 3 dimensions) but I now know that I enjoyed the linear areas of the pattern because you could build up a rhythm but the other areas seemed to take so so long and were quite fiddly.


I also had the stress of not having enough of the lightest blue wool. It was purchased for a different project and by rights I should have had enough, but I ended up having to try and find another couple of balls online. As it was discontinued I couldn't get the same dye lot, so there are some bits with a slightly different blue.

Post blocking - you can see a slightly different blue on a section of the back neck rib 

I put used the different yarn for the back and tried to disguise it by integrating it with the linear sections.

I also made the sleeves a weird shape, so there are little 'wings' on the inside.

 Bit weird, but it's just between us - shush!

The fit was just right for me so I didn't want to wet block it as normal. Instead I chose to steam block (put a damp tea towel over the top and iron through) so that the fairisle sections would flatten out a bit better. Unfortunately this did still make it a bit bigger, but it didn't stretch it too much.

Pre blocking - a little wrinkled

Thank you for all your kind comments and encouragement when I posted about this here and here earlier in the month. All in all I have produced a sweater I am pretty happy with - I would do some things differently next time but hey, it's all a learning process isn't it?

To finish, some obligatory photos with the cats

Dot looking wistfully into the distance

Tilda watching Dot

Action shot

And finally, a picture of my new favourite find, who you might have spied on the sideboard behind me.
 

I love these pairs of dogs that sit on your mantelpiece, known as wally dogs/dugs. I picked this one up for £5 in a junk shop in the Lake District. He was all on his own but maybe one day I'll find a lonesome dog that faces the other direction to be his friend.

K x

30 comments:

  1. The sweater is beautiful!
    When you look at the weird sleeves of the original - maybe the wings were supposed to be there? But I like your modern shape more. :-)

    And that dog - ha! Isn't there something about these dogs in Three Men in a Boat? Jerome was right! They're sought after now! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the original sleeves had shoulder pads in, which might have looked a bit weird, had I attempted it.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you stuck it out - the finished sweater is beautiful! Lovely shape & colors! It looks really really good on you & you should absolutely be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautifully! I love all the different shades of blue and I am in complete awe of your skills - well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine knitting an entire sweater. It's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing, such a good fit and pretty colours. It also looks like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS This is lovely. LOVELY! I know it was quite a labor but my GOODNESS, Kerry, it's just spectacular. I bow in awe to your brilliance, and no one but you will EVER know about the gaffes. SO nice. So spectacular. Go wear that with a circle skirt and wait for the troops to come home.

    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful - what a fantastic achievement! Very impressive. Honestly, I can't see the difference in the blue - I'm sure no one will notice it other than yourself. Major kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply beautiful knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! Congrats! It was worth all the effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my darling! How can you be so hard on yourself, for what is clearly a stupendous make. Okay, it may not have all been plain sailing but more self love and champagne PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I actually DO have a bottle of champagne, come to think of it....

      Delete
  11. Oh, what a gorgeous finished product. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I love it! What a beautiful jumper and you should be very, very proud of yourself! It's so pretty. Well done, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I think it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GOSH, Kerry! I think like Karen that you should be indulging in lots of celebrating, particularly as it pushed your knitting boundaries! It's incredible, such a gorgeous jumper. You are so clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the jumper, it has a lovely 40's vintage feel to it. Well done, i know it was a bit of a slog but it's worth it to achieve the results you have. So jealous of your knitting skills and your charity shop finds. I only see tat in my local ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much everyone for your kind comments! I am proud of the jumper, but I am still working through my feelings of anger towards it, like post-traumatic stress... :-) I would say I have passed all efforts at modesty, and tell everyone how long it took and how difficult it was, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh well done! Yay - you did it!!!
    Your shoulders are much more practical than the original - those wings would have driven you nuts.
    So - what's next, eh? Keep pushing your limits, that's what I say! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Kerry - this is amazing! Well done for sticking with it, and once you've forgiven it for its trials, I'm sure you'll adore it! You're so talented! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness!! It's absolutely fantastic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sweater turned out so well! It looks suitably vintage inspired but not like you're in a costume. Great job and kudos on the amount of patience it must have taken to weave in those ends!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous! I'm so impressed. I cannot knit anything other than scarves.
    The pattern is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your sweater is LOVELY ! ! ! !
    As you well know, Kestrel, you are the only one noticing those 'flaws'
    The rest of us see only one terrific sweater that fits like a dream.

    Love it ! ! ! ♥ ♥ ♥

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! This looks amazing, and fits you so perfectly! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow the jumper looks amazing! I am so impressed - I wouldn't even begin to try and knit a jumper like this so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks spectacular...I love everything about this knit! Very well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOWZA! What a fabulous sweater! GREAT job and well done on finishing! It looks fantastic! I also love the cat shots!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say