Mollie Makes Madness (and Money)

 
Do you remember when Mollie Makes Magazine was launched last year? The internet buzz and excitement?

I bought issues 2 and 3, signed up for the discounted subscription of £5 for 3 issues and then continued at the normal subscription rate. However after only a few issues I was a little bored with it. As I have said before, I'm not one for pointless crafting so I will not be making biscuits or pancakes out of felt - a cute idea as childrens' toys but not to sit round the house gathering dust. Every issue followed a similar format and after flicking through each magazine a couple of times, I felt that there was not really very much substance to it. Most of the ideas were a little twee and cutesy for my taste - I didn't even use any of the craft kits.

I've found that more recent issues of the magazine have been a little more interesting, with projects that are more like things I would probably make. I also like seeing the crafty businesses featured and finding out about new Etsy shops. On a side note - I do always wonder why 90% of craft businesses seem to be called 'Something & Something' (rather than just a one word name) - anyone else ever think that?

Anyway, last month I discovered a new (to me) magazine that I fell in love with (more of that in a future post!) and decided to stop my MM subscription. I looked at eBay to see if the magazines were worth anything and, lo and behold, they certainly are.

I listed 8 magazines and they sold for between £9.99 and £27 (!!!) each, with the earliest issues being worth the most. Now, this was great news for me of course, but I do wonder about the people so desperate to purchase these magazines, especially as they are still available in digital versions. Two bidders bought 3 magazines each from me, spending about £60 each, and were both super excited with their purchases. I found it all a bit baffling that anyone would spend so much on magazines, but I suppose that some people are 'completists' who love to collect.

What do you think about this? Have you sold any of your Mollie Makes magazines? Would you? Is this the height of Mollie Makes Madness?

If you have a much-coveted Issue 1 to sell, I think that someone will bite your hand off for it!

K x

29 comments:

  1. wow - good to know there is some demand on Ebay. Like you, I had a subscription but felt increasingly dissatisfied - I might stick my copies on ebay too (and treat myself to some fabric with any proceeds!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got hold of my first copy of Mollie Makes for free (it wouldn't scan in the shop so the guy let me have it for free). Thought there was basically nothing in it so am deffo going to flog it now!

    I subscribe to Cloth magazine, which i really like as it usually has cool refashioning projects that are useful and quite good. This months issue did feel like it was just promoting new books though, and featured a project from each book, which I didn't like that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this, I'm even more annoyed that the glue on the crochet flower kit with the current issue ripped off part of the cover when I pulled it off. It is probably worthless now!! That said I still quite like browsing through Mollie Makes, if I'm being honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised - I had opened all my kits but not used any and they still sold!

      Delete
  4. I didn't realise they would be worth anything - I still have about 6 issues with their craft projects intact! Whoopee!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with absolutely everything you say and stopped my own subscription at the end of last year. I was barely reading the magazines and not using the kits. Little did I know, I was collecting SOLID GOLD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am sensing that eBay might be flooded with Mollie Makes.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have issue #1!!! *Cha-ching*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everything you say too. I haven't got round to cancelling my subscription yet but the felt pancake issue was the decider for me! Right, I'm going straight on to eBAy to flog the lot! Thanks Kerry. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one or two Mollie Makes magazines (which interestingly I wasn't a huge fan of either), so I'm definitely going to sell them on eBay after your recent experience. It's baffling that people would spend so much on a magazine, but they must have their reasons I guess ;o)

    I'm interested to know what other magazine you've fallen for though...please do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will reveal all soon! I'm waiting for my subscription issue to be delivered.

      Delete
    2. Is it Making or Cloth magazine? Both are pretty good!

      Delete
    3. Neither! But I might have to check out those too....

      Delete
    4. oo am also excited too know - i just love magazines in general (including mollie makes)

      Delete
  10. I had a discussion on MM on Saturday and I found it difficult to justify the price - except that I saw that next month they had a review of Lotta Jandsotter who I love. I happened to buy the first issue... may have to actually find it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crikey! I lost interest very early on. In fact I think I may only have bought Issue 1. I wonder if I still have it...?

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI issue 2 seems to be the most popular, just been on ebay and there are two on there for £29! £30 for a magazine! Thats just nuts

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found it wasn't to my taste either- there was too much advertising it in out for me, along with instructions for things I had no urge to make. Nice to see that someone it's enjoying it though, even if it's not us I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one Kerry! But like you say, a potential glut * for now*, might suit my laziness.... By the time I get round to listing mine ( also with complete kits) demand will either have been satisfied by everyone above, or will be back to the insane levels you talk about

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing! I too ended my subscription after getting sick of knitted fruit holders and I have about 8 copies I think - onto ebay with them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I brought a couple of issue of MM, but it wasn't my thing - especially the price!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never bought mm as it looked like a trendy craft magazine and I'm already a subscriber of making magazine which I love, although it has it's off issues too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very much looking forward to your reveal of what this new magazine is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting that they've toned down the twee factor - I'd like to think the lessening in fun food projects was down to my post on it but I'm guessing quite a few people thought the same as me! It's so expensive too.

    I've heard it goes for mad sums on eBay and I do have the first few issues - might have to get listing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the tip off. I've got all issues from 3 onwards so will be heading over to Ebay. I can't believe the prices they are going for. I'm still a subscriber though feel it's a bit of an indulgence. It's full of pretty pictures but short on practical tips and projects that I'd want to make. All the projects are a bit samey too - how many embroidered samplers and felt food / animals does a girl really want to do. I wonder if the people at MM will take note and up their game a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it seems like there have been a few cancelled subscriptions so hopefully they will take note.

      Delete
  21. Just catching up here. I bought one issue, just out of curiosity, and wished I hadn't, sooooo not my thing, I never got the MM hype. If only I'd been more on the ball and bought the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here in Australia, the issues are $15.95 and very hard to come by- we don't really have a similar magazine that is targeted to the 20 to 40 yr old crafter. ( sorry, so hate that word! ) Given that, I do think that's why there are so popular here and people are willing to pay for some of the issues. I do agree that some of the projects are a bit lame, and I would'nt buy every issue, but I feel that way about every mag out there anyway. MM editors, if you are reading this- more upscale projects and not things my 3 yr old would want to make please!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a distributor of Mollie Makes in Australia and can confirm that the magazine has gone from strength to strength in this country. It is common for craft stores stocking MM to sell out within days of receiving their copies. In addition, back copies are much sought after as well. If anyone is interested in obtaining air-freight copies of MM in Australia and currently finds it difficult to obtain, please let me know - enquiries@aspenmagazines.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say