Finished: Miss Marple Cape

 
Finally! I have made the cape of my dreams. After a long period of thinking I would like a cape, and trying on a few vintage ones which weren't right, I have made one that is (very nearly) perfect for me.

When I found 3 metres of lovely dark blue and white striped wool fabric in a charity shop before Christmas, I knew that it would be perfect for a cape. I then began to search for the right pattern to use, and found New Look 6007. What I liked about this pattern was the option of a short and medium length, that it wasn't too restrictive in shape for your arms and the belt gave it a nice and flattering silhouette rather than looking like a bell shape. It also looked very similar to a cape worn by Geraldine McEwen as Miss Marple in the TV film Ordeal of Innocence that I had admired on TV a few months ago. I tried to take a photo but it was hard to get a good one, and Internet searches revealed no images of the cape. For reference, this is the best I could do:

Sorry, terrible pictures, but you get the general idea!


I'm not sure how I feel about modelling my fashion sense on an elderly woman, but you have to admit her cape is pretty nice.

 Stingray....STINGRAY!

This is my review of the project:

Pattern Used

New Look 6007, an unlined cape with optional belt. I made View C, the longer length version with a belt of the same fabric and using the collar from View E. Some of the views are without a button but I used one on mine.


Does it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? 
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? 
Yes, this pattern is labelled as 'EASY', and it really is easy. Not even any darts required. If you are looking for a simple coat or cape pattern I can highly recommend this, especially because the cut is pretty forgiving of fit too, so you don't need to have that perfect.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  
I loved the shape of the cape but didn't like that it wasn't lined, so I added interlining. The cape could have done with being a *little* longer at the sides because I have long arms. Originally I was going to add pockets at the front seams but I then forgot to do so. I think this would be easy to do, but might make the cape a little bulky round the front if you had things in the pockets.

Fabric & Notions 
Wool purchased from a charity shop, interlined with an old duvet cover. I had been planning to use the duvet for muslins but as it is a good quality cotton with an embroidered circular design that matched the colour of the wool, I thought it was perfect for this project.

The button was from my stash, I can't remember where or when I got it, but it matches the lining of the cape too. Result!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
I mixed and matched views and details from the pattern as I wanted a longer length but with a small collar. The cape also really needs a button to feel secure, but you can get away with only adding one quite easily, making it a great way to use up a really special button from your stash. You could also use large metal poppers/press studs to keep it closed. 

I added an interlining as I wanted to make sure the cape would be cosy. I had never tried interlining before but this was a good opportunity to try it. Scruffybadger's post about interlining for her New Look 6000 dress was very helpful, particularly the link to a really neat way to do a seam finish with interlining, from from these hands blog. Thanks so much for sharing this information Scruffy Badger! I won't explain what I did as you can look at the link, but it's very clever and I will definitely be making use of this neat method of seam finishing next time I interline. 

 My own seams look pretty neat, if a little wonky as the method is best for straight seams and I was using it on slightly curved seams.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?   
I would definitely recommend it, particularly to beginners. I only need one cape so am not planning on making another, but I would use the same pattern if I was.
Did you use any new skills?
Interlining and a new way of seam finishing.
 Inside view with duvet cover lining

What wardrobe gap does this fill? 
A short but warm winter jacket.

Cost   


Fabric          £3.99  (British Heart Foundation Charity Shop)
Lining         £0.00 (old duvet cover)
Interfacing  £1.80
Pattern        £5.95 (www.sewessential.co.uk)
Thread         0.00 White- Already had loads
Button         0.00 Stash 

Total          £11.74 

A bargain price for a lined wool cape? I think so.

Conclusion

I really love it and have already worn it at every opportunity since I finished it on the 28th December.


K x

31 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant, you know how much I love a cape and I really do love that one. You look stylish and chic in it and not at all Miss Marple-like! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! i love it! it is so great. i do love a cape, and like the tie too.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a truly fabulous cape. It really suits you! Why do I never find nice fabric in charity shops?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great - love the fabric.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops sorry I always leave problem comments on your blog! EverYthing about this cape is so wearable- funny it's not actually old lady ish at all on my book, and I am really impressed by the interlining. I'm so glad to have assisted in a small way. ( like stingray reference too, troy tempest!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, I think you look just like Miss Marple and that's awesome because Miss Marple is the BEST and ordeal by innocence is amazing. IT'S THE GERMAN NURSE. Obviously. Poor Gwenda....ANYway, this is a lovely cape. Well done. Jane would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FABULOUS! I love it! And the inside is just as nice! So lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee, thanks ladies! :) For the record this was a bit of a fluke charity shop fabric find from a shop that never normally has any fabric. Peristence pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love capes and I love miss Marple, so I adore your cape! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I love it, the bargain fabric is pretty fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is a beauty!!! Great combination of the two fabrics...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful cape! And such a bargain getting the fabric in a charity shop! It's such a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so fab! I wouldn't have looked twice at the pattern, but I love your finished make. Great job with the interlining - I'm definitely bookmarking that link! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cape is awesomely amazing!!!
    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I really like that! I love how the lining and button and main fabric all came together - as if they were always meant to be! I started a cape about a year ago but it is hidden deep in the cupboard-of-forgotten-ness. Hmmmm............

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely glorious!! What a marvellous job, Kerry! I must make one for me! I have purple sparkly boiled wool that would be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is absolutely lovely and what a bargain too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, I'd love to see some capes from you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really nice! Love that fabric and the belted silhouette is so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never find such gems in our charity shops. I love your cape its perfect for most of the year here in the UK ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely! I was searching google for how to make a cape - and found your great blog. I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and want to sew a cape - I've had my eye on this pattern and you sold me on it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a seriously lovely cape - one of the nicer I've seen. The fabric is perfect. Great job. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow it looks so great! I love the lining - at first glance the circles look like cutouts to the outer fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this looks really great! Now I want to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness, that cape is beautiful! I have one in a similar style with the belted middle, but it's not lined. It's not hand made either! I am mosty impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've just bought this pattern to use on a pile of poly blend I have sitting around- your review is great and the finished cape is gorgeous on you! I'm pleased to read it's easy- it looks easy but you never know what oddities lurk in the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello, I would like to buy you the sewing pattern 6007 new lool because it is not anymore for sale in stores. Would you agree? I wait for your answer. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    NATHALIE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, the pattern is not for sale I'm afraid. You might be able to get a copy on eBay or Etsy though

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say