6 Easy Pieces - Sewing a Mini Capsule Wardrobe

 Sewing Buddy/Hindrance

It is two years this month since I took a sewing class at a local college and learned to use a sewing machine. In that time my skills have developed enormously and I have been able to sew a whole range of clothing. I've made plenty of mistakes, and I still have a lot to learn but I am now at the stage where I feel confident enough to make handmade items the basis of my wardrobe. So, I have decided to begin to sew what I am calling 'A Mini Capsule Wardrobe.' The idea is that this small collection of items can be worn with each other, but will also go with items I already have.

During the last two years I have made my decisions on what to sew based on finding a pattern I liked and then selecting fabric, without really considering what items I wear the most and what things might go with items I already have. There is nothing wrong with this, and I have made some items I really love and wear frequently. However I now want to take the opportunity to approach my sewing differently. If I am serious about having a wardrobe of useful homemade clothes, I need to consider what items I will realistically wear.

I'm sure I am not alone amongst sewing bloggers in feeling this way. When I read the Colette Sewing Handbook, it all clicked into place with me. Sarai writes:

"Of course, it's nice to sew the things we love, but it's even nicer if we can sew things we love and will get to wear."

It seems obvious, but this sentiment really resonated with me, twinned with the fact that I struggle to wear handmade when I'm looking for separates or casual wear. Then, when I picked up some gorgeous wool check fabric to use for the Colette Peony dress, I realised that the colours in it were so very 'me' that I could use it as the starting point for my capsule collection.

So, I have put together 6 items which I will make in the first three months of this year. I have included smart and casual items as well as separates and all of the patterns and most of the fabric will be from my stash:


1. Colette Peony dress in green/blue/grey check wool.
Why do I need this? 
I have been coveting this classic dress since the pattern was released and it would make a great winter dress for work. The colours in the fabric are the basis for the mini capsule wardrobe.

2. Simplicity 3196 1950s pencil skirt in dark green wool mix fabric

Why do I need this? 
For work, as pencil skirts form the basis of my work wardrobe.


3. Blouse with tie collar in unknown man-made fabric with 1930s-style pattern

Why do I need this?
I need more separates for work, particularly tops that don't need ironed, since (being honest here) I iron very rarely. I haven't sewn much with man made fabrics as I dislike like the lack of breath-ability, however the 'easy to care for' aspect is attractive.

4. Sewaholic Crescent skirt View A in lightweight denim

Why do I need this? 
A skirt to wear at the weekends instead of wearing jeans all the time. I love the Crescent skirt I made in the summer and wore it a lot.
 
5. Other top - Jasmine blouse, fabric undecided

 Why do I need this? 
I always need more tops to wear! Also, I'll be able to look for some fabric during the Crafter's Ceilidh!

6. Knitted item - Kate Davies' Manu cardigan. 


Why do I need this? 
I have two long cardigans with pockets from the high street that I wear frequently and would like to replace. This will probably take more than 3 months to knit so it might not fit the timescale, plus I still have to buy the wool, which I would like to get from New Lanark. And let's be honest - since I live in Scotland this cardigan would get year-round use.

I'm quite excited about my list of items and about the possibility of having a more useful and workable handmade wardrobe. There's every chance that some of my choices will not work out as I planned but I think that it's a good place to start. All being well, this will be just the beginning of a more thoughtful sewing plan. With the different seasons I hope to do something similar, and build up a number of garments that are useful, wearable and lovely.

What do you think? Have you ever sewn a capsule wardrobe?

K x

13 comments:

  1. Think I should probably fess up to buying you a birthday present from new Lanark. Would you like to know about it?have it early so as to fit in with your plans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely list of projects - cannot wait to see the finished garments. I especially love the wool fabric, it will make such a beautiful Peony. And your going to make all of these in 3 months?! Wow - go you!

    P.S. Very cute sewing buddy - just look at that face ("stop sewing and pay me more attention")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea, I've been thinking about this for me but I didn't even know where to begin. I think starting with a mini capsule wardrobe is the perfect way forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this wardrobe idea. A very practical but exciting way to plan your sewing.

    I especially love the vintage butterick blouse pattern - views C & D are my favorites. SO darling, I must find something like this! One can never have too many separates :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really nice capsule wardrobe. I particularly like the vintage bow blouse pattern. Sweetness! I love the idea of Peony in a nice soft wool. You've got me thinking now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've chosen some really gorgeous pieces! I'm working on a capsule wardrobe right now too, in navy, red, pink, white, and gray, and like you, I'm really in need of more separates - particularly tops, so they're forming the majority of the little wardrobe. That little tie-collar blouse is going to look so cute in the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love your choices. Very practical, but also adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I like your plan! I love all your patterns and fabrics, actually! I really love the Manu cardigan, too-- that seems like something you could wear over dresses, skirts, jeans, you name it (and who doesn't love a sweater with pockets?).

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea - a really lovely selection of patterns and fabrics. I'm especially looking forward to seeing how your 1930s blouse turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant idea. I love the check fabric for the peony dress. I had vague ideas of trying to do this last winter but got too caught up with sewing things for christmas, maybe I can get my mind and my sewing machine in gear in time for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely plan!
    I really like the Butterick blouse pattern.
    Good luck with the Jasmine - I have a lurking fear it works best on busty girls (no offence intended!) and mine went back in the pattern box with a sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Kerry! I love your capsule wardrobe. The colours are so perfect for you and just gorgeous. I hadn't thought of doing a check Peony, but I'm thinking now of making my own in pink/black plaid. The cardi you want to make is so pretty, too!

    Looking forward to seeing all of your lovely creations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great plan. Im working out something similar myself at the moment. Good luck with your plan :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say